Crispy baked taquitos which are super easy to make, gluten-free, stuffed with a hearty veggie mixture, and vegan cheese. These crispy vegetable flautas are bursting with flavor and can be enjoyed as a snack, dinner or side dish!
CourseMain Course, Side, Snack
Prep Time25 minutes
Cook Time20 minutes
Total Time45 minutes
- 2 medium-large (400 g) potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1 medium (140 g) carrot grated or finely diced
- 1/2 medium-large onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup (180 g) peas frozen or canned
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3/4-1 tsp sea salt or less/more to taste
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) vegetable broth
- 5 oz (140 g) vegan cheese of choice
- Taco seasoning to sprinkle on top of taquitos (optional)
- 8-10 small/medium tortillas (*see notes)
- Peel and chop the potatoes and cook in a pot with boiling water and salt until fork tender which takes about 12-15 minutes. Drain the water and mash the potatoes with a potato masher. You can add a splash of plant-based milk for a creamier result. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan/skillet over medium-high heat and add the chopped onion. Sauté for 3 minutes, stirring frequently, then add the grated carrot, minced garlic, all spices and sauté for a further minute.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, add peas (frozen), put the lid on and cook for a few minutes until the carrot is softened. If you use frozen peas, make sure to let them thaw completely. If using canned peas, drain and rinse (no need to cook, add them in the next step). Turn off the heat.
- Also, add the mashed potatoes and vegan cheese (you can use store-bought grated vegan cheese or cream cheese). I used my easy vegan cheese sauce. Use a fork or a potato masher to combine everything.
- Taste the veggie mixture and adjust seasonings. Add more salt/black pepper/spices to taste. If you want it spicier, add more red pepper flakes to taste.
- Preheat oven to 410 degrees Fahrenheit (210 degrees Celsius) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place about 2-3 tbsp of the filling onto each tortilla and roll them up tightly. Place every tortilla seam-side down on the baking sheet, next to each other.
- Brush with a little vegetable oil (to make them even more crispy) and sprinkle some taco seasoning on top.
- Bake in the oven for about 17-20 minutes or until they are golden brown and crispy. Broil for a few minutes (optional).
- Serve with salsa, sour cream, vegan queso or guacamole. Enjoy! Store leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze in zip lock bags for up to 2 months.
- Peas: If you aren’t a fan of peas, simply use chickpeas or beans to add healthy plant-based protein.
- Vegan meat: You can use vegan ground “beef” as a meat substitute if you like. Simply fry it together with the onion in a pan.
- Crispy taquitos: Want the taquitos extra crispy? Pan-fry them with some oil instead of baking until nicely browned on all sides and crispy.
- Tortillas: I use homemade gluten-free tortillas. They are also grain-free, pliable, and delicious. If you are using store-bought corn tortillas, make sure to warm them in a pan (with a lid on) or wrapped in a damp paper towel in the microwave (for about 30-40 seconds). You can also use flour tortillas (if you aren’t gluten-free).
- Read the blog post for more useful tips, step-by-step photos, and to watch the video.
- Recipe serves 10. Nutrition facts are for one serving.