Vegan Pita Bread Recipe. Soft Puffy Yeasted Wheat Pita bread that can cooked on stove top or baked in the oven. Easy, Dairy-free, soy-free Recipe.
Prep Time1 hr
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time1 hr 30 mins
- 1/2 tsp active yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached white flour or all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp oil
- Wheat flour for dusting and rolling
- In a bowl mix the yeast with warm water and sugar. Let it sit for 2 minutes.
- Then mix salt in the flours and add to the yeast bowl. Add oil and knead into a soft dough. Knead only until well combined. 1 to 2 minutes. Cover the bowl with a towel and let it rise until doubled. 1 hour or longer depending on ambient temperature.
- Use a tablespoon of flour, punch down the dough and knead for a few seconds to smooth it out. Divide the dough into 10 or more equal sizes balls. Using flour, roll each of the balls out to 5 to 6 inch circles. Cover with a towel.
- Cook on the skillet:
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Place the rolled out flatbread on the skillet and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until bubbles start to appear. Flip and cook for another 1/2 to 1 minute. Then place the flatbread on the open flame. Keep moving it and flipping it every few seconds until puffed and golden.
- Bake in oven:
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F / 230ºc and place a large pizza stone or thick baking sheet in the oven to heat up for atleast 20 minutes.
- Place the rolled out breads 3 to 4 at a time depending on the size of the stone.Bake for 3 to 6 minutes or until the breads puff up and get just about golden on top. Switch the oven to high broil if your oven doesnt get hot enough and pita breads take too long to puff up.
- Remove carefully from the oven and place the next batch on the stone. The baked breads will puff up if they were rolled out evenly. Store wrapped in kitchen towel for the day and refrigerated for upto 5 days.
nutritional values based on one serving
Calories: 83kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 78mg | Potassium: 20mg | Calcium: 2mg | Iron: 0.9mg