Garden Zucchini Squash Casserole 🌱 Fresh zucchini, yellow squash, and ripe red tomatoes topped with toasted Italian breadcrumbs create this easy, healthy & colorfully delicious dish! GF and oil-free options.
PREP TIME15minutes mins
COOK TIME30minutes mins
COURSEDinner, Main Course
CUISINEAmerican, French, Vegan
- Cutting board
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cup
- Parchment paper
- aluminum foil
- medium ovenproof baking dish
- 2-3 medium zucchini washed & sliced ⅓” thick rounds
- 2-3 medium yellow squash washed & sliced ⅓” thick rounds
- 3-4 medium tomatoes washed & sliced ⅓” thick rounds
- 2 tbsp olive oil oil free option – replace oil with 3+ tablespoon vegetable broth
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp sea salt coarse
- 1/2 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 1/2 C breadcrumbs Italian Panko style (use gluten-free if needed)
- 3 tbsp vegan parmesan grated or homemade
- 2 tbsp basil fresh – chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Coat bottom of baking dish with a small amount of olive oil
- Stack zucchini, yellow squash, and tomato slices on end (staggering in order) in rows, filling the pan.
- Sprinkle veggies with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper
- Drizzle remaining olive oil over top of veggies
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs and grated vegan parmesan over all
- Cover with parchment and foil (layer parchment between food and foil)
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes covered
- Uncover and continue baking for 10 minutes or until breadcrumbs are golden brown and juices are bubbling in bottom of pan.
- Remove from oven. Allow casserole to sit for 5 – 10 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped basil before serving.
🥕Depending on the size of your veggies, you might need to use a larger pan.
🥕Adjust the amount of olive oil as needed.
🥕Oil- free option If you prefer not to use oil, drizzle 3 or more tablespoons vegetable broth over veggies to add moisture.
🥕Gluten free option Be sure to use gluten-free breadcrumbs
🥕If you don’t have Italian seasoned panko breadcrumbs, you can use plain breadcrumbs combined with 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning.
🥕If you don’t have parchment paper, I suggest tenting the foil over your casserole. I like to use parchment paper underneath foil when baking as I prefer my food not to come in contact with aluminum.
Calories: 83kcalCarbohydrates: 10gProtein: 3gFat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 638mgPotassium: 383mgFiber: 2gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 663IUVitamin C: 24mgCalcium: 39mgIron: 1mg