This French lentil soup is the cosiest veggie soup you’ve ever had. You only need a handful of ingredients to make a hearty and healthy soup that’s packed full of vitamins and fibre. And have I mentioned the flavours are absolutely amazing?
Prep Time10 minutes
Cook Time45 minutes
Total Time55 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 leeks, sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium parsnip, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 350 g (12 oz.) puy lentils, rinsed
- 75 ml (⅓ cup) dry red wine (or 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1.5 litres (6 cups) vegetable stock
- 30 g (1 cup) fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot or Dutch oven and sauté the onions over medium heat for 4-5 minutes until translucent.
- Add the leeks, carrot, celery and parsnip and continue to cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the veggies have softened, add the garlic and fresh thyme and continue to cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Add the lentils, red wine, bay leaves and vegetable stock and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes until the lentils are tender.
- Stir in the fresh parsley, season to taste and serve with your favourite crusty bread, topped with extra fresh parsley and a dash of olive oil if you like.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 271Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1186mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 11gSugar: 9gProtein: 11g