Vegan Naan Bread, is a soft pillowy restaurant style homemade food. It is so easy to prepare at home. Pair it with any spicy Curry.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Resting Time1 hr 45 mins
Total Time2 hrs 5 mins
Course: Main Course
Author: sharmila kingsly
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- 2 cup Flour
- 1½ tsp Instant Dry Yeast
- ½ cup Almond Milk Luke Warm ( Any Non dairy Milk )
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 cup Water Luke Warm (Use as needed)
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 tbsp Vegan Butter
- 2 tsp Nigella Seeds or Black Sesame Seeds
- In a small bowl add ½ cup of lukewarm Almond Milk. To this add in 1 tsp of Sugar. You may use any Vegan Milk like cashew milk or Soy Milk. If you don’t mind including dairy, you can include normal cow’s milk.
- To this add 1.5 tsp of instant dry yeast and let it rest for 10 mins. The yeast will bloom and activate.
- In a mixing bowl add in 2 cups of the flour along with ½ tsp of salt. Now add the yeast milk to the flour.
- Add lukewarm water little by little and knead to a soft smooth dough. You can use a stand mixer or use your hands to knead. Works well either way. Never use the full water, use little by little only as needed. Add 1 tbsp of oil and knead the dough once again. Cover the bowl with a Cling wrap and a damp kitchen towel let it sit for 90 mins to raise
- After 90 mins the dough would have doubled in size. Knead once to release the air.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions and knead to bring them to a round shaped ball and let it sit for 15 mins.
- The dough will have a mini raise once again.
- Now on your working surface dust some flour and shape the naan. It is usually a teardrop shaped or an elongated oval shape. Shape as you desire. It is usually slightly thick.
- Sprinkle in some Nigella Seeds or Balck Sesame seeds on top and run the rolling pin once so that it stays firm on the naan. Now heat a griddle or cast iron skillet until it’s hot. Once it’s hot Place the naan on the top of the skillet.
- You will start seeing the golden bubbles on the bottom of the naan Once the underside gets golden brown spots, flip and cook the other side.
- Apply little butter. I am using Vegan Butter. If you are ok with dairy you may use dairy butter or you may skip and go with coconut oil. Cook until you see the brown spots on both the sides and remove them from the stove,
- Apply butter on both sides and store in a kitchen towel until you serve. Always serve hot.
Baked Naan – In case if you do not want to use the stovetop you may also bake the Naan Bread. You may preheat the oven at 356 F and bake them at 356 F for 15 mins. Flip after 7 mins and bake. Brush with butter while flipping.
Yogurt – There are also few versions of naan that use Yogurt while kneading the dough. If using you may use ¼ cup while kneading the dough. You may use any Vegan yogurt. Cashew yogurt is my personal favorite.
Reheat – Always serve the naan hot. Heat them in a skillet for 30 secs each on both sides and then serve to apply little butter if required. You may also reheat in the oven as per the oven instructions. Once it out apply butter and then serve.
Calories: 186kcal | Carbohydrates: 25.9g | Protein: 4.6g | Fat: 7.1g | Saturated Fat: 4.3g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 150mg | Potassium: 73mg | Fiber: 1.4g | Sugar: 1.1g | Calcium: 8mg | Iron: 2mg