Creamy, easy, and flavorful vegan chicken salad is made with healthy, whole-food ingredients. It’s endlessly versatile and perfect for meal prep, snacks, and quick lunches. Gluten-free and oil-free.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Chill time 1 hour
Total Time 25 minutes
AuthorLori Rasmussen, My Quiet Kitchen
- ▢1 (20 oz.) can green/young jackfruit in brine
- ▢1 ½ Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ▢1 ¼ teaspoons poultry seasoning
- ▢3 ribs celery, chopped (about ¾ cup)
- ▢1 small red onion, diced (about ⅔ cup)
- ▢1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ▢1 batch Oil-Free Vegan Aquafaba Mayo Or ½ to ⅔ cup vegan mayo of choice.
- ▢⅛ to ¼ teaspoon dried dill, to taste
- ▢1 to 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ▢salt, to taste
- Drain the jackfruit and rinse under running water. Place on a clean, lint-free towel. Gather up the ends of the towel, hold it over the sink, and squeeze the jackfruit VERY well to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Preheat a medium/large saute over medium heat. Saute the jackfruit for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the nutritional yeast, poultry seasoning, and a generous pinch of salt to the pan and stir. Cook for another 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant. Transfer jackfruit to a plate to cool.
- In the bowl of a food processor combine the cooled jackfruit, chickpeas, ½ cup mayo, ⅛ teaspoon dill, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Pulse 6 or 7 times. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add more mayonnaise, if desired (I usually use the entire batch of Aquafaba Mayo to make it extra creamy). Pulse to combine. Taste again and add more dill, lemon, and/or salt.
- Add the red onion and celery to the food processor, and pulse to incorporate. Transfer the vegan chicken salad to a lidded storage container, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
*Sautéing the jackfruit is an important step as it evaporates any remaining brine and enhances the flavor of the seasonings.
- Nuts – add chopped pecans or walnuts for extra richness and texture.
- Fruit – if you enjoy a little sweetness in your chicken salad add halved grapes, dried cranberries, currants, or raisins, or chopped pineapple.
- Spicy – add smoked paprika, cayenne, and or diced jalapeño peppers (fresh or pickled) for a bit of kick! Also try it with curry powder, harissa, or cumin.
Make this recipe nut-free by using an oil- or tofu-based mayonnaise.
Bump up the protein by using soy curls or store-bought vegan chicken strips instead of chickpeas. See tips in the post above.
Store leftover vegan chicken salad in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 days. It holds up very well for meal prep and tastes even better after the first day.