Dill pickle soup (zupa ogórkowa) is a tangy yet creamy traditional Polish soup that’s as delicious as it is unusual. Made with pickled gherkins, this Polish pickle soup is the perfect vegetarian comfort food on a cold winter day.
Prep Time10 minutes
Cook Time30 minutes
Total Time40 minutes
- 30 g (2 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, diced small
- 2 celery stalks, diced small
- 250 g (½ lb) pickled gherkins, diced small
- 100 ml (½ cup) pickle juice
- 450 g (1 lb ) potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1.25 litres (5 cups) vegetable stock
- 200 ml (1 cup) sour cream
- 30 g (½ cup) fresh dill, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat and add the onion, carrot and celery stalks. Cook for 5-6 minutes until the veggies soften slightly.
- Stir in the pickled gherkins, pickle juice, potatoes amd vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Mix a ladle of soup in the sour cream to temper it, then whisk this mixture in the soup. Stir in the fresh dill and season to taste.
- Serve with extra fresh dill, sliced dill pickles and rye bread (or your favourite crusty bread).
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 312Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 1778mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 4gSugar: 12gProtein: 6g