- Preparation:10 min
- Cooking:30 min
- Ready in:50 min
- For:8 servings
- Categories:Gluten-Free, Vegan
- 1 tbsp olive oil, (or 1/4 cup water for sauteing)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped, white & green parts
- 2 carrots, cut in circles
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 tsp parsley flakes
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 lb green cabbage, roughly chopped
- 2 quarts water, optionally with 2 bouillon cubes, or use vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper, (optional)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tsp sea salt, omit if using vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium high heat. Add onion and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, celery, and green onions, and cook for 2 minutes while stirring constantly. Stir in carrots, thyme, parsley, basil, and cabbage.
- While cooking for another 2 minutes, add water or broth, bay leaf, yeast flakes, paprika, cayenne pepper, and bouillon cubes or salt.
- Cover pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, then simmer for 20-30 minutes. Enjoy!
- I added the bay leaf to prevent gas. You may also add a herb called epazote, or a piece of kombu seaweed.
- I don’t recommend that you only consume cabbage soup, but you can include it as a part of your low fat high fiber diet.
- To add extra flavor and texture, add fresh or canned chopped tomatoes. I like to add fire roasted tomatoes for extra smokiness.
- Make your own Vegetable Broth to use in this.
- I have added gluten-free dumplings from my Vegan Chicken and Dumplings, which adds more heartiness and comfort.
- Energy:90 kcal / 376 kJ
- Fat:4 g
- Protein:2 g
- Carbs:14 g