This vegan lemon orzo is naturally creamy, simple to make and utterly delicious. It’s just the perfect light lunch or side dish full of lemony flavour that you can have ready in 20 minutes!
PREP TIME5 minutes
COOK TIME15 minutes
TOTAL TIME20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 300 g (10.5 oz) orzo
- 1 litre (4 cups) vegetable stock
- 100 g frozen peas
- 75 g (2 packed cups) baby spinach
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large, deep pan and cook the shallots for 2- 3 minutes over medium heat until slightly softened.
- Add the garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the orzo and toast it for 1-2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add a third of the vegetable stock and bring to a simmer. Lower the heat and cook, stirring often, until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Repeat with another third of the stock, then add the remaining stock, frozen peas and baby spinach. Simmer, covered, for 2-3 minutes. The orzo should be al dente at this point.
- Stir in the lemon juice, season to taste and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 287TOTAL FAT: 8gSATURATED FAT: 1gTRANS FAT: 0gUNSATURATED FAT: 6gCHOLESTEROL: 0mgSODIUM: 518mgCARBOHYDRATES: 46gFIBER: 4gSUGAR: 6gPROTEIN: 9g
Nutritional information is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator