Healthy, easy, and amazingly delicious vegan quesadillas made with a simple 6-ingredient cashew cheese! Use your favorite fillings or follow the recipe exactly for mushroom-spinach quesadillas.
Yield: makes 12 triangles; serves 4 as an appetizer or 2 as a main dish
Servings: 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 35 mins
- high-speed blender
- large saute pan
INGREDIENTS US CustomaryMetric
- 1 batch Homemade Meltable Vegan Mozzarella – *Don’t include the optional agar.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, optional
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ounces raw spinach (about 5 huge handfuls)
- generous pinch of salt
- 4 flour tortillas, “burrito size” – Use gluten-free or whole-grain, if desired. See NOTES for prep tips.
Prevent your screen from going dark
- First, tap this link to make the cheese (takes about 15 minutes; no need to include the optional agar). Then set aside.
- To saute the vegetables, preheat a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the oil, if using, and cook the mushrooms until their water has released and evaporated, 6 to 7 minutes. Add the minced garlic, and cook for 1 minute. Add the spinach and cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Season with a pinch of salt and set aside.
- Heat a large clean skillet over medium heat. Spread cashew cheese over one entire side of a tortilla, almost to the edges. Place the tortilla in the hot skillet cheese-side up. Arrange about ¼ of the sauteed veggies on one half of the tortilla. Fold the other half over to cover the vegetables. Cook until the underside is nicely toasted, then flip and toast the second side. Transfer to a plate, and repeat with the other 3 tortillas.
- Cut each one into 3 triangles and serve immediately.
If using whole-grain or gluten-free tortillas:
Since these are less flexible than traditional flour tortillas, instead of doing the fold over method, spread a layer of cheese and the filling ingredients over the entire surface of one tortilla. Then spread cheese on another tortilla and place it on top of the veggies, cheese-side down. Press it down so that the cheese holds the veggies in, and carefully flip to cook the second side. Then cut into six triangles.
Serving and Storage:
Quesadillas are best eaten immediately while the tortillas are crisp.
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat for about 15 to 20 seconds in a microwave, then transfer to a hot skillet to re-crisp and heat the outside of the tortillas.
The cheese can be made in advance and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Estimated Nutrition (per serving)
Calories: 262kcalCarbohydrates: 33gProtein: 10gFat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 670mgFiber: 4gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 2660IUVitamin C: 12mgCalcium: 117mgIron: 3.4mg