Indian style chickpeas curry cooked to perfection in the Instant Pot. This naturally vegan Chana Masala is good to go with everything from Jeera rice to Naan.
Prep Time8hours hrs 15minutes mins
Cook Time27minutes mins
Course: Main Course, Mains
Cuisine: Indian, North Indian
Servings: 8 people
- Instant Pot
- Potato masher
- 2 cups Dried chickpeas
- 6 cups water
For the Chana Masala
- 1.5 tbsp Oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 2- 3 green cardamom pods
- 1 Serrano chili scored lengthwise
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 2 cups finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1.5 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp ground coriander Dhania powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin Jeera powder
- 1.5 tsp garam masala
- 1.5 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp Salt or to taste
- 1.25 tsp dried Amla (dehydrated Indian Gooseberry)
- 4 cups soaked chickpeas Please read blog post for more information
- 2 cups water
- 3 to 4 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- Place the chickpeas in a colander.
- Wash well.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add 6 cups water and allow this to hydrate for 6 to 8 hours.
- Making Channa Masala in Instant Pot
- Once the chickpeas are hydrated, drain the chickpeas in a colander and wash once.
Instant Pot Cooking and Mode
- Place the inner pot into the Instant Pot.
- Plug in and select SAUTE MODE- NORMAL- 9 Minutes.
- When the display reads hot, add oil. Now, add the bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom and green chili.
- When the whole spices pop, tip in the ginger and garlic.
- Mix well and wait for the garlic to begin browning.
- Now, add the finely chopped onions and mix well.
- Add salt and the ground spices.
- Stir to combine and allow to cook for 30 secs.
- Once done, add the finely chopped tomatoes and stir well.
- Cook the mixture till tomatoes break down and become mushy.
- When done, add the drained hydrated chickpeas, 2 cups water and the dried Amla.
- Press CANCEL. Ensure that the sealing ring has been fitted properly into the lid.
- Turn VALVE to SEALING. Now, select PRESSURE COOK MODE- HIGH PRESSURE- 15 MINUTES.
- Allow the cooking cycle to complete.
- When the cooking cycle completes, wait for the pressure to release naturally.
- Once pressure releases, open and gently mash the chickpeas once or twice using a potato masher.
- Now, select SAUTE MODE- NORMAL- 3 MINS.
- Allow the curry to simmer for this set time.
- Garnish with finely chopped cilantro.
- Stir to combine and serve hot with lemon wedges and onions.
If you are in a hurry or have forgotten to soak the chickpeas in advance, then wash the chickpeas and soak them in very hot water for 1.5 hours.
Using dried Amla or Anardana powder is optional but highly recommended. If you cannot source either, skip them and just add the ground spices mentioned. Or you can use 1 tsp Chaat Masala or Pani Puri Masala.
In case you had time to hydrate them for only 4 to 6 hours, use the BEAN/CHILI MODE to cook this curry. Wait for NPR after the cooking cycle is complete.
Nutrition values and facts are shared here as a courtesy. Kindly use this only as a rough guide. Please do due diligence and consult a qualified nutrition expert for more information.
Instant Pot timings vary depending on the geographic location. It behaves differently in high altitude locations.
For Instant Pot & Air Fryer Recipes
Instant Pot timings may vary based on your geographic location. Air fryer settings and timings may vary based on the capacity and the model of the Air fryer.
Nutrition values are provided here as a courtesy and are only a rough guide. Please consult a health care provider if you have any concerns.
Calories: 302kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 837mg | Potassium: 709mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 419IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 110mg | Iron: 5mg